..just for a minute.
I love baseball.
I'm not sure if it's an incarnate component of my father pulsing through my veins or if it's the tight pants and the squint-under-the-ball-cap that makes my heart throb, but this season makes me come alive. I might not sit for hours and read up on my favorite team's stats, or watch reruns upon reruns of SportsCenter to catch the hottest highlights. But there's something about the sounds, the smell, and the feel of it all that brings out my inner cleat chaser. Yeah, I said it. And without shame, too.
And it's not just that it's baseball season. It's the transition to spring, and soon a quick one to summer. It's the "looking ahead" and moving on from new friends that changes to "looking back" and the reversion back to the old. It sends breezes toward the future that whisper memories of the past. It's the reminder to have a patient heart, waiting fervently for something that might take me by surprise and sweep me into forever. It's a constant calling to slow down and take it one pitch at a time, reminding me that if I move too fast or think too much, I'll miss the whole game. Though there might be comfort in all of that, it's a slow unveiling of change that rushes into what's to come.
I don't know.
It's a time of perpetually mixed emotions that make me want to do nothing but sit in the grass and count K's.
So that's probably what I'll do. You can catch me at the ball field.
,
No comments:
Post a Comment