Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Investment

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:19-21

I talk about time incessantly in this thing, but it's really important. Time is so very fragile. And how we spend it is a direct result of where our heart truly is and what our treasures truly are.

College is important too. Classes are important because they give us knowledge which is then assessed. Such assessment produces a grade, and grades give us our degree. Our degree, (most of the time), gives us a job, and our job provides us with some sort of work for Jesus, whether ministry related or not, and a means of financially living in this world.
While all of this is important.. investing all of our time in these things is not eternal. When we die and meet Jesus, he isn't going to ask us for our high school diploma, our GPA, our test scores, or our degree. He's not going to care whether we read Chapter 6 of our textbook. What he's going to care about is how you invested your time on earth into your time in eternity.

I've been blessed with the gift of education, and I am so very grateful for the opportunity to use my skills and talents in this world to do what makes my heart smile. But in all reality, like any other gift we've ever received, it is Divine. It was given to us by our Creator to do with it as it would please Him. After all. It's ABOUT Him. We claim that whatever we're doing as adults will glorify God regardless of its relevance to ministry, but more often we ignore the Jesus that's harbored in the process! (..until, of course, we need help on an exam.. then we're all about Jesus coming to the rescue.)
I digress..

I don't ever want anything so insignificant as a syllabus and a to-do list to hinder the relationship I have with Christ. I've found so much peace in reading Chapter 6 of Matthew versus Chapter 6 of my textbook.. and in the midst of midterm exams, papers, reports, article analyses, clinical observations, leadership meetings, and a lack of sleep.. Jesus calms the chaos because he is first.

Today and always, I choose to put Christ first, as the fullness and the treasure of my life - so that my heart will be with him fully as well.



"Giving up something now for something better later is not a sacrifice. It's an investment in the plan that God has for my future." -Andy Stanley




.

No comments:

Post a Comment