Sunday, February 17, 2013

promises, promises

I listened to a message this morning about the key component of promises in any relationship. As kids, we used to look at our parents when they offered ice cream after the dentist and say "Prrrrooommiseeee??" Let's be real, we've all been there. At that time in our lives, hearing "I promise," was enough to seal the deal. Over time, somewhere along the line, we've been jaded by a broken promise or two that's caused a distrust when we hear the words "I promise." Today, even the simplest promise has to be accompanied by eight trees worth of paper complete with written statements, signatures, and a notary stamp to even be valid.
At what point, though, did the word "promise" lose its value?

I get so frustrated when I make a genuine promise and I'm doubted. I get offensive, as if my word has no value or significance to it. Come on. I don't say things just to hear myself talk. I say things because I mean them, or because I feel as though the statement is necessary. But then I look around and I wonder what kinds of deceit, brokenness, and hurt had to have passed through the lives of those around me to make them so distrustful of something so genuine.

I love with everything I have. Most of the time, there is no price to be paid for my love. It just is. It is, and it's whole, and it's real, and it's unwavering. I would do just about anything for anybody. And when I love you, whether it's as a lover, a best friend, a brother, a teacher, a businessman, a mother, a companion, or as a complete stranger.. it's true. When I show you love, it means I love you. When I say I'll be there, I'll be there. When I say that miles or minutes don't matter, I mean that my love is not contingent upon distance or absence ..or both.  When I say I'm not going anywhere, I mean that I'm not going anywhere.

I don't make promises with my mouth. I make promises with my heart.
And my heart needs to be enough. Because it's all I have to give.







.

No comments:

Post a Comment